Extruded graphite rods are produced in an extrusion process. Extruded graphite rods have a coarser grain size and lower strength, but higher thermal and electrical conductivity. Vibration-formed graphite is characterized by a uniform structure and usually has a medium particle size. The material exhibits planar isotropic properties and can be produced in large sizes. Thanks to the technical properties of extruded graphite rods, these materials ensure quality, cost-effectiveness and environmental compatibility, from achieving the highest purity grades to simplifying machining to saving flushing gas.
Extruded graphite rods and high-purity extruded graphite rods have excellent physical and chemical properties, so they are widely used in chemical, electrical, mechanical, metal smelting and casting industries. So what are the various uses of extruded graphite rods and columns?
1. As a refractory material. The extruded graphite rod and its products have the characteristics of high temperature resistance and high strength. The metallurgical industry is mainly used to manufacture graphite crucibles. Graphite is often used as a protective agent for steel ingots and metallurgical furnace linings in steelmaking.
2. Used as fireproof filler. Expandable extruded graphite rods are interlayer compounds obtained by chemical or electrochemical treatment of extruded graphite rods. Under heating conditions, the volume of the expandable extruded graphite rod expands rapidly, smothering the flame, and generating expansion to isolate the flame, delaying or interrupting the flame spread. In addition, it is non-combustible, has good flexibility, high surface energy, and good carbonized layer strength.
3. As anti-corrosion material. Extruded graphite rods have good corrosion resistance to chemicals and solvents. If chemical pigments such as zinc yellow are added to the formula, the anti-rust effect is better; the anti-rust primer made of carbon black, talc and oil has excellent anti-corrosion properties.
4. As a conductive material. In the electrical industry, extruded graphite rods are used as electrodes, brushes, carbon rods, carbon tubes and cathodes for mercury positive current devices, ink washers, telephone parts, TV picture tube coatings, etc.
5. As a wear-resistant lubricating material. Extruded graphite rods are often used as lubricants in the machinery industry and can be used under high speed, high temperature and high pressure conditions.
6. As a casting, sanding, die-casting and high-temperature metallurgical material: due to the small thermal expansion coefficient of the extruded graphite rod, it can withstand the changes of rapid cooling and rapid heating, and can be used as a mold for glassware. With graphite, ferrous metals can obtain castings with accurate dimensions, smooth surfaces, and high yields. It can be used with no or little machining, saving a lot of metal.